Music Intent Statement
Music is to participate in and appreciate a variety of musical experiences, developing as musician.
The music curriculum at St Joseph’s aims to give each child a solid grounding in the main aspects of music education. We intend to engage and inspire pupils to develop a lifelong love of music and their talent as musicians. This aims to increase pupils’ self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
By the time learners have left St Joseph’s, they will have experienced a broad music curriculum carefully planned in progression and depth by our specialist teacher.
- Singing will feature in every lesson to encourage both a love of music and a sense of technical development. Every child will have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument before they leave our school. Pupils will be given experience of ICT musical packages such as Garageband and Music Lab.
- Pupils are given an excellent understanding of how musical provenance – the historical, social and cultural origins of music – contribute to the diversity of musical styles.
- The curriculum will enable every pupil to compose their own music and appraise that of their peers - an activity which embeds and explores knowledge and understanding of the genre.
- Children will build a musical awareness underpinned by knowledge of musical elements, theory and technical language.
- Through many opportunities to perform in front of large and small audiences, and through much exposure to all types of music, pupils at St Joseph’s will develop a deep rooted sense of pleasure, excitement and enthusiasm in this subject.
Love, Learn, Live